Thursday, September 17, 2009

Up Next

We are still getting into our routines for the new season. Dance classes started yesterday. Brownies/Girl Scouts hasn't started yet, but once those meetings start up, the pace is going to pick up considerably. I imagine I will be dusting off the crock pot soon!
In between planning our days, I have been doing a little bit of crafting. Earlier in the year, I made one of Soulemama's Gratitude Wraps for my former college roommate. She and I have been writing to each other for much of the year, and it has been so nice to revive our correspondence. Back when we had first graduated, we used to write each other fairly often--we didn't have home computers yet, and long-distance calls were too expensive. Wow--have I just made myself sound old, or what? I'm 38! I guess the world really has changed in the last 15 years or so!

Anyway, I hadn't made a gratitude wrap for myself yet. I love this khaki linen that I used in a couple of bags back in the spring, but I didn't have a piece big enough to make the full-sized wrap. So, I made a mini-wrap for myself. And because I was itching to do some embroidery, I used this bird design (which came from Alicia Paulson's book) to put on the front. All I need now is a stamp and a few spare minutes to jot down the latest news.
In knitting, I've been working on some small projects for a big birthday!

This is Toasty. Leslie designed these, and they're super easy and fun to knit up. I have more to this gift, and I'll show it once all the parts are done.
And finally, I started another quilt. I am so amazed by all the women (and men) out there who can crank out these beautiful quilts in a matter of a couple weeks (or even less)! It takes me at least a month. I don't know--I just can't sit at the machine for hours on end. It always seems like there's something else I want to be doing (like knitting!) so I end up stepping away from the machine after an hour or two.
Fortunately for me, this is a Christmassy quilt, so I have time! Amy led a zig-zag quilt along over the summer, and I'm jumping on the zig-zag bandwagon a little late. I'll have more to share on this in the weeks ahead.
What are you working on?

2 comments:

jules said...

I love Leslie's toasties! I have them on my own to-do list.

That bird on your gratitude wrap is so precious.

Crock Pots are my favorite thing for winter months, so many things that can simmer all day long....yum.

Unknown said...

Aw, this is lovely. And I love your toasties and all your crafty plans!! Inspiring!!