Saturday, February 15, 2014

My Stack of Books: February 2014

I'm linking up with Anne again. 


Here are some short reviews of what I've read so far this year:

 
The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert
Epic, globe-trotting story of Alma Whittaker.
 
 
 
Wonder by R. J. Palacio
 
I bought this for my son last Christmas.  He was in third grade at the time.  He loved it and passed it on to his cousin to read.  My daughter's school required all rising seventh and eighth graders to read this book over the summer.  I finally read it in January.  What a story.  I highly recommend for all ages.




Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg

Honestly?  Meh.  She had some concrete advice, but she mostly reviewed perceptions.  I didn't like her 50-50 views on marriage and parenting (because it's really 100-100).  I really bristled at the story about her friend/colleague who devised "tests" for her potential mates.

The Magician's Assistant by Ann Patchett
 
I enjoy her novels very much.  I like her writing style,  I guess I like it enough to forgive her endings.  She doesn't like to wrap everything up for you.  It's like we're visiting the characters, and when we leave, they continue on with their lives.
 
A Lesson in Secrets by Jacqueline Winspear

The ninth Maisie Dobbs installment, I think.  I read this out of order--I think I skipped #8 by accident, so I'll have to go back to it.  Once again, a finely written tale.  I really like Maisie Dobbs, and I really like London between the wars.  It's good for Downton fans, especially because Maisie has lived both upstairs and downstairs.

3 comments:

Anne @ Modern Mrs Darcy said...

I've enjoyed the Ann Patchett I've read, but I haven't read that one yet. And I've only read the first Maisie Dobbs book but am looking forward to reading the rest of them. (eventually!)

A Place to Reside said...

Ooo...I haven't read that Maisie Dobbs installation yet...and I too have been reading them wildly out of order. :)

Heidi McCahan said...

I enjoy Ann Patchett, too. I'll have to check this one out. Wonder intrigues me, I love that it's required reading at some schools.