Friday, March 27, 2009

Sew Connected: March

This month for Sew Connected, it's Jessica's turn. She sent an assortment of vintage sheets, plus this lovely orange fabric. One of her fabric pieces was from a pillowcase, I think, and she asked us to use that piece as is. Other than that, the sky was the limit. And if you pop over to our group page on Flickr, you'll see that the members once again rose to the challenge! After dealing with my monthly inferiority complex, I decided to get to work.
I love, love, love all the fabrics she sent--guess I'm a sucker for old sheets, too! Anyway, I thought that the vintage look of the fabric required a matching vintage quilt look...in a 12.5" block. Not always easy to do. I had seen a magazine article recently that taught how to hand-piece hexagonal flowers. After thinking it over for a couple of weeks, I decided to go for it. I hand-stitched the hexagons together and then I machine-stitched the flower to the orange fabric.
After that, the rest of the block came together pretty quickly. The center-right block is the one that had to remain uncut, and as luck would have it (because I would never plan this far ahead), it was about the same size as the appliqued block! Whew!
I'll be off to the post office today to send this to Jessica.

1 comment:

audreypawdrey said...

This is a beautiful block! I love the hexagons in the center.