Sunday, March 16, 2014

My Stack of Books: March 2014


I'm late to the link-up party--but better late than never!  It has been a long winter, and I have spent many a snow day with my nose in a book.


The Railway Children by E. Nesbit
Perfect for fans of The Penderwicks.

 
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan
What a fun treat.  Books, codes, and google!  Hooks you quickly. 
 
 
Eat Move Sleep by Tom Rath
A quick read--very short chapters, each one featuring a point on eat, move, and sleep.  Some of them seemed repetitive.  Informative.
 

Holy is the Day by Carolyn Weber
I liked her first memoir, although I had some reservations about it.  I'd rate this one about the same.


 
 The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches by Alan Bradley
I owe my college roommate a huge thank you for turning me on to Flavia de Luce.  She's an eleven year old chemist and sleuth.  Each book improves upon the last.  My only regret was that I read this too quickly.
 
 
 
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
I loved Eleanor & Park, and I also loved this one.  Maybe because I'm a big Harry Potter fan.  I don't read fanfic, but I certainly appreciate the love that goes into it.  Loved it.


 
Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook by Gary Vaynerchuk
A marketing book.  How to effectively use social media.  Not really much in the way of practical application for me personally, but I enjoyed reading it just the same.  I think that any organization or person could learn much from this.  I liked how he presented the material.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Lovely post! :) We have similar reading tastes! I'm currently reading 'Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore", and "Eat, Move Sleep". I've been curious about John Green's other fiction (I have The Fault In Our Stars on my to-read stack.) I loved Carolyn Weber's Surprised By Oxford, and want to read Holy Is the Day - would you recommend it? Thanks for your post!

Anonymous said...

We love Flavia around here. If you want to slow down and savor her, I recommend Jane Entwhistle's audio reading. It's delicious!