Tuesday, August 30, 2011

And Just Like That...

They're off.
 Sixth grade, second grade, fourth grade.
 This is her last year at the elementary school.  That fact brings up all sorts of mixed emotions.
These two have a few more years.  Bobby's second grade teacher was Caroline's second grade teacher.  This is our first "repeat."   I love the first day of school because the principal allows parents to come in with the kids.  We get to meet the teachers and (try to) give a last minute kiss goodbye to the kids.

I came home to discover that two of the kids had left behind their "what I read this summer" lists.  That gave me the idea to share with you my list of what I read.  Here it is:

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (I took the kids to a play of this--they loved it.)
Gone-Away Lake by Elizabeth Enright
Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea by Lucy Maude Montgomery
State of Wonder (her latest novel) and Truth and Beauty (a memoir) both by Ann Patchett
The Penderwicks at Point Mouette by Jeanne Birdsall
Mockingbird (a biography of Harper Lee)--I forget the author's name, but it was really good
The Nobodies Album by Carolyn Parkhurst
The White Queen by Phillippa Gregory
The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison Weir
and the second and third Flavia de Luce novels, The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag and A Red Herring Without Mustard by Alan Bradley.

There were a couple of books that I started and skimmed a little.  There was at least one that I checked out and returned unread.  But when I look at the list, I think I'd recommend all of them.

So, how was your summer?  Did you read anything good?

2 comments:

Kristyn Knits said...

Oh my goodness, Meg! What adorable first day pictures!! We start after Labor Day, so we're still enjoying a few days of vacation. And that reading list!! Looks like you had a lot of success! The Penderwick books are our favorites!! Happy back-to-school day!

Larissa said...

Love that your kiddos can walk to school. They look all pumped and ready for a great first day - good job mama!

Your sweater and embroidery from the last post are perfection! Your girly will LOVE it. Glad you are all safe and dry and breathing deeply! Enjoy the rest of your week!