Wednesday, November 17, 2010

My New Mantra

Okay, I'm a couple of days late, but I'm back.  And I don't really have a game plan for all these seasonal crafty projects--just one rule and a new mantra.  The rule?  Don't start any new projects.  The mantra? (With apologies to Alec Baldwin's character in Glengarry Glen Ross) Always Be Knitting.

I finished the second pair of mittens. And the only way to take a picture seems to be with the flash.  This picture was taken before I finished the thumb.

I'm working on another pair of mittens (another pair where I had to merge two patterns--so the writing out of the pattern has been time-consuming and there has been some trial-and-error).  And I started a hat for one of my nephews.  Yes, I started a project, but this one was already planned.  I am trying to avoid starting any unplanned gifts.  I am also working on Caroline's sweater at night (those secret knitting projects are tough to fit in, I tell you!).  I'm almost finished with the back.  My sweater?  Is on hold (see my one rule above).  I'm okay with it. For now.

And as a corollary to "don't start anything new," I decided to find a stopping point on other projects.  So these little decorations are done--I finished stuffing them and sewed them closed.
 And these unsewn ones will go into storage for another year.
Just this morning I realized that my parents will be arriving here next Tuesday.  And while this is super-exciting, that also means that it's time to start preparing the house for guests.  I am hosting Thanksgiving again this year, and I am super-tickled about this because it is also my fortieth birthday!

7 comments:

blandina said...

Dear Meg, the mittens are just beautiful and the decorations seem very promising! I do not know how you can manage all these projects, 3 kids AND Thanksgiving.
Are you a Supermama?

stitching under oaks said...

good rule...wish I could follow it better. this time of year just has me itching to start one more thing. your mittens and sewing projects are wonderful! hopefully after the holiday rush you'll have time for some personal knitting. have a great week!

Kristyn Knits said...

Meg, those MITTS!! are wonderful!! How exciting- 40 is a great celebrating kind of birthday!! I hope it's full of blessings.

Larissa said...

Gorgeous mitts! your color combo is young yet sophisticated (read I want a pair too - maybe after the holidays) Love the heart and doll and bird ornaments - they look right out of a french country style magazine! Enjoy Thanksgiving and Happy Birthday to you. I'm convinced that forty is the new twenty - only wiser!

Meredith said...

Such beautiful work!! You are awesome!

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

You are such an accomplished knitter. Very impressive. I hope you have a happy birthday and Thanksgiving to boot. Enjoy.

-- Oh, those ornaments are great. Love the birds.

Journeying Five said...

ooh! I love the mitts, they are absolutely lovely!