Friday, November 20, 2009

Sad

Yesterday we said goodbye to Fletch. After thirteen years, his body was failing him. Rob and I held hands and rubbed his ears as he passed.
Christmas 2008: sleeping right in the middle of the action

I was not prepared for how upset the kids would be. I think I was so wrapped up in my own emotions yesterday that I didn't consider how they would take the news. Seeing them so upset made an already long day even longer. They have constructed a makeshift memorial with one of his dog beds, his food and water bowls, and some pictures and letters they drew last night.
We're going to be getting used to a quiet house and remembering our dear friend.

8 comments:

jules said...

I'm so sorry Meg, losing an animal is never easy. My thoughts are with you and your little ones.

Hugs.

Dimple said...

It is hard to give up a loved one, even when that loved one is a dog. I'm sorry about Fletch's passing, but I'm sure you made the right decision. May God comfort each of you.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

I'm sorry for your loss. I had a Springer Spaniel growing up. And have had two dogs since. They truly become part of the family and when they go, there's definitely a void. When Davey -- our Hummane Society rescue -- died, my daughter organized every picture we had of him on her bulletin board. It stayed there for two years -- like a shrine. He'll always have a special place in her heart.
-- Jodi

Philigry said...

oh, that must be so hard. my thoughts are with you and your family, it is going to be a hard day in our house when we lose our dog.

Kathleen said...

I'm so sorry.
I often joke that our Sadie had better be immortal, because I can't imagine life without her.
The memorial sounds beautiful - do you know the book Dog Heaven (by Cynthia Rylant)? It's lovely.

Amy said...

I'm so sorry Meg. He looks like a beautiful companion. The kids will have memories and in the long run - it's a life lesson. But I know it's hard right now. I'm sorry for your loss.

HappyYogaMama said...

I hope you guys are doing okay this weekend. Its so hard to say goodbye to a furry family member.

Kristyn Knits said...

So sorry for your loss. It must be hard on all of you right now. He'll be remembered well.