Sunday, July 14, 2013

My Stack of Books: June's Reads

I have six books this month--I am definitely in summer mode!  I have also noticed that most of the books I finish and write about here tend to be graded at least seven out of ten or higher.  I think that is because I will abandon a book if I'm not enjoying it. Why suffer through a three or a four if I don't have to? 

On to the books:


Miss Buncle's Book by D.E. Stevenson. 9 out of 10.  A delight.  Reminiscent of Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day.  England, Post-World War I, a small village.  What's not to love?

Pastors' Wives by Lisa Takeuchi Cullen.  Seven out of ten.  I learned about this author through Gretchen Rubin's website.  I liked it okay.  I wanted more from the characters.


Deconstructing Penguins by Lawrence and Nancy Goldstone.  Seven out of ten.  Nonfiction book on how to discuss literature with children. There were some great suggestions of titles to add to the kids' summer reading list.  Wish my kids could be receptive to some structured discussion.


Strong Poison by Dorothy Sayers.  Eight out of ten.  When Lord Peter Wimsey met Harriet Vane...
The Baker Street Letters by Michael Robertson.  Seven out of ten.  This is the first in a series.  Modern day lawyer has his offices at 221B Baker Street and receives letters addressed to Sherlock Holmes.  I like the premise. This one was slow to get rolling, but improved as it went along.  I've already read the next in the series and it is growing on me.

The Three Weissmans of Westport by Cathleen Schine. Five out of ten.  A modern Sense and Sensibility.  Take it or leave it---I'd probably leave it.

So there was the June reading.  I'm already on my fourth book for July, and I have a stack from the library about five books high, so the rest of July's reading is already planned.  For August, I'll set the goal of reading some books about writing, and possibly reading an Ann Patchett novel that I have not yet read. 

1 comment:

Anne @ Modern Mrs Darcy said...

I've heard great things about Deconstructing Penguins but haven't read it. I think I'd like to. I really liked Strong Poison, as I recall. And as intrigued as I am by the idea of a modern-day Sense and Sensibility, I think I'm gonna pass. 5 out of 10 doesn't seem worth the time when there's so much good stuff to read!