Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Works in progress

Time for a little show and tell.  I finally finished my Aran mittens.  I just love the design.  I learned quite a bit about following a chart--namely to color code the various cables.  Life was so much easier after I color-coded the chart!  I started the first mitten...back in September, I think?  And then they went into hibernation.
 My only gripe?  They're HUGE!  Like, super-large man-hands huge!  I'm considering felting them ever-so-slightly (is that even possible?), or just putting them into the closet until inspiration strikes.
On to other hibernating projects: these are legwarmers for Caitlin.  They were supposed to be a birthday present.  Last March.  I have brought these back out, and they're going to be a Valentine's present.
 And here's Libby.  Back and Left Front done.  Working on the Right Front.  Also a Valentine's present.
 Hey, I made a hat--back in October?  It's for Caroline.  I haven't given it to her yet because it's suppose to coordinate with some mittens.
 These mittens.  The first stranded knitting projects I worked on.  In August or September!  They're done--but the ends are not woven in yet.
 See all these ends?  This is a Kristin Nicholas pattern, and that woman is not at all afraid of weaving in loose ends.  It's ridiculous how many loose ends there are on one mitten!  That is why these lovelies are still in the knitting bag.  Maybe by Valentine's Day...
And for two out of three of my kids, that should be more than enough homemade love for Valentine's Day.  I'm feeling guilty about my little man, though.  Especially since he has ASKED me to knit him something!  (Actually, he wants me to teach him to knit so we can make it together--isn't he the cutest thing ever? )  I have wanted to make him a Tomten jacket for a while, but I don't think I could get it done in time.  Maybe I'll take him yarn shopping and let him choose the color.  He can be surprisingly picky at times--and after I've knit the thing up is not the time for picky.

So that's me right now: knitting up yarn that has been lingering.  Next up: girl scout cookie season.  See you all in a week.

5 comments:

Kristyn Knits said...

Wow Meg! you've been one busy knitter!! I wish I was more adventurous...you're projects always seem to be wonderfully adventurous! happy selling!

Larissa said...

Love all your knitted gifts! I'm just starting valentine's gifts this week.

You can totally felt your mitts a bit! first wash them in the machine in cold water (with your regular wash). They probably won't shrink much but if they do you're done. if not then throw them in the dryer - with other wet clothes - for 5-10 minutes at a time until you get them the size you want. Be sure to set a timer so you don't forget and shrink them too much!

stitching under oaks said...

wow girl...that's a lot of handknitted goodness. You've been squirreled away knitting. Love the mittens....they're perfect for layering over gloves. Sometimes it's cold enough that you need two layers. Have a great end of the week.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

The legwarmers are the perfect color for Valentine's Day. I'm so impressed with all your gloves and hats. You have no fear of delving into such complicated patterns. Impressive. I'm such a wimp -- it's always got to be tried and true with me. I just can't venture too far out of my comfort zone.

Meredith said...

You are really a great and prolific knitter!! Wonderful stuff!