Thursday, July 21, 2011

Ready for the Fair

I finally made something out of those Dresden plates.  Well, I made two somethings--and I still have several plates left over, plus a ziploc bag full of blades.  Anywhoo, on to the finished products:

I used five of the smaller plates to make this table runner.  I was thinking about entering it in the Grange Fair this year, but my lack of patience won out.  I wanted to be finished with the binding, so I stitched in the ditch instead of hand-stitching.  I really feel like it should be hand-stitched to enter it in the fair.

But I really love it.  I love how pretty my table looks.  And I don't even mind that I've already spilt coffee on it, because I know it's the first of years' worth of spills that this table runner is going to see.

I used a thrifted sheet for the back.
Now that quilt?  I did hand stitch the binding on the back.  'Cause this one is going to the fair.

Let me be clear: there are mistakes in the quilt.  My free-motion quilting is full of irregular stitches and meandering straight lines.  And I harbor no delusions of this quilt's winning.  Believe me, I have seen the winners in years past, and they are magnificent.  I do this for fun. Last year when we walked into the exhibition hall, we saw my quilt on display, and the kids got all excited (I did too).  The Grange fair is quickly becoming the highlight of our August.  Now I have to start tweaking my cookie and cake entries!

9 comments:

ab said...

It is gorgeous! Well done!

Meredith said...

Wow...that table runner needs to be on MY kitchen table! so pretty! Good luck...I love looking at fair entries!!

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

They are beautiful! So colorful! I need to get brave and try one of these one day.

Kristyn Knits said...

MEG!! Both of these projects are stunning!! I LOVE all the color you included! They scream summer and fair entry!! Much success at the fair.

stitching under oaks said...

Meg...these are wonderful. I love the rainbow of colors that you chose....beautiful. This just screams happy to me. Fingers crossed for you!

From All Stitched Up said...

I love your quilt. I'm glad to hear it's not perfect but it still looks beautiful. Good Luck with all your entries. Please share wth us your cookie and cake entries.

Julie said...

Well, I think it's beautiful! I just love all the colors. So cheery!

Sarah and Jack said...

I have to agree with everyone else - the bright colors are lovely and so fun.

a friend to knit with said...

wow! this is spectacular!

YES! cast on for aidez!!!! today! (i probably wont for a couple of days... but hopefully by the weekend.)

enjoy your last days of summer. breathing helps will everything!!!